Speaking Chakra

Monday, August 22, 2011

We all are Anna !


In that morning I was yet in bed and waiting my newspaper hawker’s as usual paper throw alarm to get me up. Suddenly I woke up with the beep sound of a message on my mobile. Anna Hazare is arrested in Mayur Vihar, the message from my friend read. I became curious to know more about the latest news. Since I have no TV in my room, I turned on my laptop to get updates from social networking sites. In fact, social media played an important role in getting people united against Corruption. I remained glued to face-book and twitter for initial information and news. It was unbelievable, the Internet was buzzing with news on Anna and the public reaction. India against corruption web page was the main source of Anna’s where about. It started informing people where to go with its route details. “Anna is taken to the Police Officers Mess in Civil Lines, reach there, the nearest metro station is civil lines on Viswavidyalaya route” said one updates on Face Book. Then similar updates followed up directing people to come out of home and reach the nearest protest site.
I was completely confused, where should I go? Of course I had a plan to go to J P Park later in the day.
Another message said, “Large numbers of protesters were detained from Rajghat and civil lines and send to the Chhatrashala Stadium”, which was arranged to house all protesters.



Similar news and information poured in as the day proceeded. And I had decided to go to civil lines to join with the protesters. But I was late; meanwhile Anna was sent to Rajouri Garden and later into Tihar Jail. Till that time Chhatrasala stadium was turned into the main protest venue with thousands of protesters were both inside and outside of it.

As soon as the news of Anna Hazare’s Police detention spread out, large numbers of people came out on the street in support of the anti corruption crusade and staged protest march towards the prohibited J P Park in the heart of New Delhi. So, I decided to join the protesters at Pragati Maidan. On my metro journey to Pragati Maidan I found many protesters equipped with Gandhi cap and India against corruption banners travelling towards Pragati Maidan, the nearest metro point to reach the prohibited J P Park.



When I reached at Pragati Maidan, already there were hundreds of protesters. Delhi police also had arrived there with full battalions and buses to ferry detained protesters to Chhatrasala stadium. Within minutes of our arrival at the road adjacent to ITO, the police announced to move away from this area citing prohibitory orders, but we stayed there defying the order waiting to make a huge gathering and then moving towards J P Park. As the numbers of protesters grew up, police started arresting people those were on street and loaded them into the buses already in standby. After 8-10 buses being ferried away, the police was helpless to take all the protesters into custody as there were unprecedented gathering. The police then stopped taking people into custody but tried to ensure that no one march towards JP Park.
I have witnessed this historic movement against corruption in Delhi for the second time. What a peaceful and coordinated mass movement! When the police stopped people at Pragati Maidan, a large numbers of people courted arrest and others marched towards India Gate chanting Vande Mataram, suddenly the police blocked the road, again people courted arrest in mass. Then all sudden there was a silence, people changed their strategy and started their march towards India gate in an opposite direction, quite silently. Police was clueless. I also followed that communication in silent. When started marching towards India gate, I found a big queue in front of me. At India Gate within five minutes of our arrival, the circle was completely filled up. The surrounding air was filled with slogans in support of Jan Lokpal and Anna Hazare.



The following days also seen very peaceful and discipline protests across the country. Self discipline is a unique feature of this movement. Even at Ramlila Miadan people are showing the same level of discipline when they are undergoing frisking at the entry point or littering the ground. They all are aware of the fact that corruption has made their life miserable. The huge support to this movement indicates, people have realized that If they are not united now, it will never be possible to have strong mechanism against corruption. That’s why they are shouting “Abhi nehi toh kabhi nehi”.
It all happened because of one man, his dedication and his undisputed persona. He is Anna Hazare. His constant fight against corruption has exposed many corrupt politicians and bureaucrats. It is his efforts that enabled the first right to information law in any Indian state.
I salute the leader “Anna”, who made his presence felt and leading a successful peace protest. Really, I am Anna and you are Anna, we all are Anna.

No comments: